I often receive a question from a CPA candidate in the EVR route on how to write the technical section of the PERT.
Here are general guidelines:
- Write experience for Financial Reporting (FR), Management Accounting (MA), and Finance (skip Assurance and Tax unless you’re in public practice)
- Write 2-3 examples for each sub-competency
- Make each example at least 1/2 page long (in Word)
- Follow CARL format (challenge, action, result, lesson learned)
- Think of it like writing a case: What is the issue? How did you analyze it? What’s the recommendation?
- Have titles for each section and give lots of details.
7 Tips to write the PER report
Get CPA PER Coaching
I’m excited to release Canada’s first PER coaching program with dozens of Level 2 examples, templates, video lessons, marking services, and more. Check out sample free lessons at PER Review.